|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. V Fogliano|
|prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
|prof. dr. JHA Kroeze|
|prof. dr. G Antonides|
|dr. EWI van Herpen|
|dr. B Piqueras Fiszman|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
MCB-20806 Principles of Consumer Studies; MCB-30306 Consumer Behaviour: Concepts and Research Methods.
Innovations in Marketing Decision Making; Thesis Marketing & consumer Behaviour; Sensory Research (ATV).
The human senses are the consumer's window to the world. This course teaches how sensory perception drives and affects consumer behaviour in the market place and how marketing offerings (products, services and environments) can be designed to optimize the consumer's experience.
After this course the student should be able to:
- understand the basics of information processing along the sensory 'supply chain' from the physical stimulant [product, service, environment), through the human sensory perception system (peripheral and central nerve system) to the integration and action side of the human brain (appreciation, mood, and behaviour in the market place;
- understand dominant theories regarding when and why sensory perception is a relatively more or relatively less important driver of consumer preference and choice;
- demonstrate understanding of how sensory stimulation affects consumer behaviour in the market place by applying the theory of this course in developing a new kids product.
- attending to lectures with "proof of principle" sensory experiment;
- studying literature;
- group work on assignment: develop a convincing multi-sensory consumer experience in theory and practice.
- written examination;
- assessment of group assignment.
Reader and/or recent journal articles.
|Restricted Optional for:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||B: Consumer Studies||5AF|
|MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||A: Management Studies||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||C: Product Design||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||G: Sensory Science||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||I: Gastronomy||5AF|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||D: Sensory Science||5AF|