|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
|Lecturer(s)||ir. PJM Hulshof|
|prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
Language of instruction:
This is a general nutrition course that addresses the relation between nutrition and human health with a focus on overnutrition. The course will get you introduced into the chemistry of the three macronutrients fat, carbohydrate and protein. It will address how macronutrients are digested, absorbed, stored, and metabolized for energy and present you with an introductory view on how different types of fats, carbohydrates and proteins affect human health. Moreover, it will carefully analyse energy homeostasis and the regulation of bodyweight. The course will also introduce you into nutritional science and briefly discuss the different methodologies employed in nutritional research.
- reproduce basal knowledge on food sources, structure, digestion, absorption, transport and metabolic effects of the three macronutrients fat, carbohydrate and protein;
- demonstrate knowledge on energy intake and expenditure, physical activity, and body composition;
- understand the importance of nutrition for human health, focusing on overnutrition;
- have a basic understanding about the mechanisms underlying the effect of nutrition on health and disease.
The course includes different work forms:
Theoretical aspects are covered in lectures.
The theory from the lectures is further explained by means of tutorials and practicals in smaller groups.
- closed questions exam;
- presence/participation during three practicals.
All literature will be provided digitally.
|Compulsory for:||BVG||Nutrition and Health||BSc||2AF|