|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Distance Knowledge clip|
|Distance group work|
|Distance E-learning material|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. P van 't Veer|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. MC Busstra|
|prof. dr. ir. P van 't Veer|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. P van 't Veer|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
All courses from the distance learning curriculum MNH, specialization Nutritional Epidemiology and Public Health, since the core assignment in this course (write a position paper) builds forward on assignments in previous courses.
The DL-MSc-specializations have a fixed schedule during the pilot-phase
NOTE: this course is taught specifically for the students in Distance Learning Specialization and is not available in academic year 2015/2016 for the on-Campus students. Self-registration for this course is not possible.
In this course you will translate your in-depth knowledge on research methodology into a position paper. In this paper you reflect on the body of scientific evidence for nutrient reference values, and their implications for population health. To this end, the course covers approaches for the integration of evidence in depth (incl. meta-analysis).
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- evaluate the body of evidence available for intake recommendations (NIVs: ANR, INLx, UNL) for a specific nutrient and target group, and evaluate the distribution of nutrient intake of populations against NIVs.
- judge the strength of scientific evidence for the NIVs using conceptual frameworks like DISH, evidence pyramid, Hill criteria;
- suggest opportunities for further research;
- develop a well-founded advice to an appropriate organization and suggest opportunities for policy development with respect to improvement of nutrient intake and status.
- conduct basic meta-analysis in R.
E-modules, knowledge clips, online group discussion, individual paper.
Will be announced.
Petrie & Sabin, Medical statistics at a glance, selection of chapters)
Webb & Bain, Essential Epidemiology, 2nd ed, Ch 10
|Compulsory for:||MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||E: Nutritional Epidemiology and Public Health||6DL|