|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
|prof. dr. ir. MH Zwietering|
|prof. dr. ir. IMCM Rietjens|
|prof. dr. mr. BMJ van der Meulen|
|dr. ir. PW van Kleef|
|prof. dr. ir. SM van Ruth|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. MH Zwietering|
|dr. ir. MW Reij|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
FHM-30306 Risk Assessment of Foods; LAW-30806 Food Law, TOX-30306 Food Toxicology; FHM-22306 Advanced Food Microbiology or LAW-30806 Food Law; LAW-31806 International and American Food law, LAW-32306 Intellectual Property Rights.
The course is an advanced course at the end of the first year of the MSc Food Safety and MSc Food Quality in which students act as risk managers, who in their actions take into account the various perspectives of risks, such as scientific, managerial, political, legal and economic. Students will have to defend their propositions and negotiate aims and results. A practical case is supported by lectures.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- contribute as a specialist to the solution of complex problems;
- make use of a risk assessment;
- follow-up on a risk assessment on all levels;
- to design a crisis protocol;
- effectively function in a multidisciplinary, international team;
- defend propositions in large meetings;
- negotiate group issues and statements;
- apply risk management techniques in different situations;
- understand legal issues regarding food safety management and apply legal skills to solve them;
- understand economic issues regarding food safety management and apply economic skills to solve them;
- reflect on the performance of the team and the personal contribution.
- case studies;
- writing and presentation;
- computer based cases and discussions.
- crisis protocol (10%);
- observations during group meetings and plenary meetings (20%);
- report (10%);
- self reflection report (10%);
- computer based learning (10%);
- written exam consisting of open and/or closed questions (40%).
All separate parts must be passed with at least 5.0.
Literature will be provided at the beginning of the course.
|Compulsory for:||MFS||Food Safety||MSc||6WD|
|Restricted Optional for:||MFQ||Food Quality Management||MSc||6WD|